Drop in pressure at cut in 30 psi

Old 10-17-19, 05:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drop in pressure at cut in 30 psi

I just installed a new well pressure tank, pressure switch, check valve, gauge, pop off and drain valve or faucet. I did adjust the empty tank pressure to 28 psi. When the pressure hits the cut in 30 psi. The pump turns on and the pressure drops to zero for a few seconds and picks up pressure, takes about 2 minutes to hit the cutoff 50 psi. The pump is a submersible in a 6" well casing, not sure of the depth.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-19, 05:55 AM
O
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The first thing I would do is remove a couple PSI of air from the tank and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't just put the air back in.

If the air pressure somehow ends up higher then the the cut in pressure it will push ALL the water out of the pressure tank and the pressure tank cannot exert pressure on water that is not in the tank. A little surprised you say you see this after the pump kicks on but I would check the air pressure theory first anyway.

Old 10-17-19, 08:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I bought a better pressure gauge to check the empty tank pressure and will do so tonight.

Thank You!!!

Old 10-17-19, 10:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
If your water and air pressure gauges are slightly off you can end up with higher air pressure in the pressure tank than your pumps cut in pressure. Better gauges will help as both need to be accurate. But, simply letting a bit of air out of the pressure tank is cheaper.