Seepage pit - caustic soda

Old 11-09-19, 08:04 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seepage pit - caustic soda

How many lbs of caustic soda is needed to treat a seepage pit containing 2,500 gallons?

Old 11-09-19, 11:35 AM
A
Received 130 Votes on 119 Posts
I am not a numbers or quantitative expert but if the seepage pit is more than half full them too expensive for the average homeowner and someone might even say very wasteful.

If the pit can be pumped out first and relatively concentrated solution in water sprayed liberally on the pit walls (and not on persons or animals or good vegetation or exposed areas) every day for a week then it is a good although not excellent way of rejuvenating the pit. You might get by with three pounds of caustic soda.

Although Drano contains caustic soda, it is not very suitable for this application because by the time it is put in the spray device container, the soda will have reacted with the inert ingredients so as to greatly reduce the potency.

Old 11-09-19, 03:11 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So 100lbs of caustic soda poured into a full seepage pit (2,500 gallons) might be enough to treat?
50lbs on Amazon is $110.... so two buckets of the stuff.
How often should it be repeated?

Old 11-10-19, 05:05 AM
A
Received 130 Votes on 119 Posts
So 100lbs of caustic soda poured into a full seepage pit (2,500 gallons) might be enough to treat?
I don't know.

But I do know that, if you take a quantity of caustic soda and simply dump it into the full seepage pit, thenmost of it will sink to the bottom and not be effective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: