Rain water destroying my crawlspace!!HELP

Old 12-23-19, 06:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rain water destroying my crawlspace!!HELP

Hey guys, I've really thought long, and hard over this. I have an issue. I like on the corner of two roads. One main road, left side of page, and primary street I call for address that leads to a dead end on the top of the page. From the corner (top left) to the diagonal bottom right of my drawing is mainly how my yard slopes. Of course the rain water pours directly into my front yard and into the grade thus flooding my crawlspace. This can quickly become terrible for my foundation, how can I safely stop that water from coming in? Im thinking create two channel drains as a mote (sp?) At the front of my yard, and send it to the right since the yard slopes that way, but it will be sending it into the neighbors yard. My father explained to me its immoral to do such a thing, but I either pray the city either fixes this for me or I just go insane because I feel stuck. Heres a crude drawing. Ill attach more actual pictures of my front yard. Thank you all for your help. Have a Merry Christmas! I cant figure out how to upload an image

Old 12-23-19, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums and Merry Christmas.

Follow this......... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 12-24-19, 02:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
it will be sending it into the neighbors yard. My father explained to me its immoral to do such a thing,
Not just immoral as many jurisdictions have rules that make doing so illegal.

Is this a new problem caused by something the city did? If so, you might get them to rectify it.

How is the water getting into the crawlspace? is it high enough to come thru the foundation vents or are there voids in the foundation wall? If the ground gets over saturated it could also seep up into the crawlspace.

Old 12-24-19, 12:45 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the image link! Also, you're right it could very possible be a lawsuit waiting to happen or illegal to do so. Yes, it is oversaturating the ground then where my house is built on the slope it seeps into my crawlspace. Let me insert some photos. Ill post some really descriptive ones Thursday after Christmas.

Old 12-27-19, 04:47 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Can you regrade the land just around the perimeter of your house so water does not lap against the foundation?

There should not be a depression in the soil all around the foundation to be filled with gravel or mulch or sand or other more porous material. Choose shrubs that do not require special soil. When digging a hole for the root ball of a shrub, fill it in with regular soil (e.g. taken from any other arbitrary place on your lot) instead of peat moss or other mix suggested by the planting instructions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: