Bad check valve - submerged pump?

Old 10-08-23, 06:30 AM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Bad check valve - submerged pump?

For a while what I think is a check valve has been leaking a little bit, it's to the right of the 'T' from the holding tank, toward the well side. Also, the pressure drops on it's own, so the pump is turning on every hour+ or so. Is there also a check valve with the pump itself in the well? In 2010 it was converted to a submerged pump system from a jet pump inside the basement. The holding tank was replaced about 8 years ago, and was told it's waterlogged and is due to be replaced again.

I will need to have the system serviced professionally. For now, I've installed a temporary pump on/off switch to remove power to the pressure switch. I didn't want to keep using the circuit breaker to turn it off, not sure if they're designed tor frequent turning off/on. The switch is at the top of the basement stairwell with 12/2 wire. Would it be ok to let the pressure go quite low - as would happen if off overnight? I know the pump would then have to run for a while, but I've heard what wears and electrical motor out is the starting procedure. During extended power outages it's recovered fine, including one in October 2011 where an early snowstorm caused power to be out for I think 9 days.

Old 10-08-23, 08:24 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
There should be a check valve located immediately above the pump.

Old 10-08-23, 03:20 PM
S
Ok, would there also be one inside the house to prevent water from the holding tank to flow out back into the well? I've drawn an arrow where I think there would be one. Thank you Twhjelmgren28 for posting this photo i that I used for reference.

Last edited by stevek66; 10-08-23 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-08-23, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,140 Upvotes on 3,718 Posts
Your pump is short cycling due to a water logged pressure tank.
There is supposed to be a foot valve down at the pump.
Must submersible pumps have it built in.

A check valve can be installed topside if the pit one isn't holding.
Depending on where the leak is.... the topside check valve may not be very effective.

The check valve needs to be between the pump and the pressure switch.

Old 10-08-23, 04:24 PM
S
Your pump is short cycling due to a water logged pressure tank
That's what I was told by a plumber at the house for an unrelated situation.

A relative in the water treatment business agreed. The holding tank should be replaced at the same time the leaking component is.(where the arrow is).

Old 10-08-23, 04:24 PM
C
I can only comment on my well set up. Years ago my well was short cycling. The first thing I checked was the pressurizer tank. It was OK. It actually lasted another 20 years. The problem was a leaking check valve in the well located immediately above the pump. It was replaced by the well company that originally drilled the well. Problem solved.

When I had a new tank installed a few years ago the plumber installed a check valve on the well side of the pressure tank. That seemed smarter than having to pull the pump for a check valve failure.

Old 10-08-23, 04:42 PM
S
That seemed smarter than having to pull the pump for a check valve failure
That's what I would think. The leak is to the right of the gauge, where the hose clamp and white Flex Tape is. I didn't expect that to stop the leak, just tried to slow it down. That's what I assumed was a check valve. I know it's not likely to be removed and replaced, the whole T junction and related components will need to be.

Last edited by stevek66; 10-08-23 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-09-23, 06:38 AM
C
That check valve is a separate component available on line.

Old 10-09-23, 07:44 AM
S
That looks like what I have. I couldn't pinpoint the leak, but it must have been around the threads.

Old 10-09-23, 01:56 PM
C
I replaced one last year. The fitting was cracked on one end. My guess is that it was over tightened when installed a few months before, or maybe it was just a piece of crap made in China.

Old 10-09-23, 03:21 PM
S
A crack would make sense. Mine would look just like that had I not put everything on it. That was installed in 2010 and started leaking maybe a year and a half ago,

I'm thinking it should be ok to let the pressure go quite low, meaning turning the switch off overnight or when at work. I wouldn't say the same with the old jet pump. I've heard they could be hard to prime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: