Recommended strategy - eventual well pump replacement

Old 10-20-23, 04:13 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Recommended strategy - eventual well pump replacement

I have 2 wells at my house - a 300' deep outdoor well with a Gould's pump, this well is currently in operation. I also have a shallow well inside the basement, with a jet pump (I am not sure of the depth of this one). This one has sat unused for at least 30 years.

The in-use 300' well's pump is 30 years old now. It works perfectly; the only repair I've had to do has been to replace the pressure switch about 10 years ago. That well was installed back when my main house had 2 separate families living in it, in addition to a small rental unit out back that is fed from the main house. Current water usage is vastly less nowadays.

Water usage: it's just me in the house, 24x7. I have a single tenant in the rental unit.

I'm always trying to think ahead and would like to have a plan (and materials possibly) ready, for when the existing pump fails.

In my mind, in order of least effort and initial cost to the most, my options are:
1. Do nothing, and just wait until the submersible pump fails
2. Buy a new Gould's pump and have it stowed away for when the existing one fails
3. Proactively replace the submersible pump and pressure tank
4. Have the shallow well inspected by the county and if they say it's ok, install a new jet pump, pressure tank, and pipe it into the system in such a way that I can easily switch between active wells/pumps as needed (annual rotation and I'd have a "hot backup" ready to go).

Option #1 I'm not crazy about because (especially since I have a tenant to keep water supplied to) I'm at the whim and mercy of the local Gould's guy.
Option #2 is a consideration because then I can shop the pump at my leisure and not have to buy in an emergency.
Option #3 gives me less risk and I'd have a new system (of course, a new system can fail early).
Option #4 gives me the most flexibility and redundancy.

I appreciate any suggestions and feedback.

Old 10-20-23, 06:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,122 Upvotes on 1,899 Posts
When I built my house there were no big box retailers in town and the lumber yards & plumbing suppliers were all closed on weekends. So, a well pump dying would have left me without water for a few days or had me driving a couple hours to get materials. So, I keep everything on hand needed to replace the well pump. I keep in stock: well pump, waterproof butt splice wire connectors, high quality electrical tape and the needed tools to do the job (large pipe wrenches, torch/heat gun, wire crimpers, safety rope for pulling well). I also keep a spare pressure switch and pipe nipple on hand since pressure switches seem to have a shorter life than well pumps.

I would not replace a working pump just because of its age. Quite often the quality of older was better and certainly so if you original pump was good quality. And I certainly would not toss a high quality old pump for a modern, cheap store brand pump.

Old 10-20-23, 06:56 AM
C
Received 349 Upvotes on 292 Posts
Replacing a functioning well pump as a preventative measure makes no sense. To me it's like replacing a car engine after 50,000 miles because it might fail. I think it would be better to restore the shallow well to have as a back up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: