Moving into your first home can seem like an overwhelming experience. Being your first place, it’s easy to leave out some important details in getting prepared for the move. Here are some helpful tips to make the experience as problem-free as possible.
1. There are many problems you can encounter on the day of your move but you can make your actual moving day easier by packing your essentials ahead of time. Make a list of the items you'll need the day you move. Two or three days before the move, collect and pack them all. Place the packed essentials in a specific spot so that they won't be included with the boxes that are put onto the trucks. Clearly label your packed essentials with a list attached to the outside.
2. You and your family will need appropriate clothes for your moving day. Make sure they fit comfortably and can be easily replaced if you accidentally damage them. You will also need clothes for your trip. Check the weather in advance to be well prepared. Your clothing list should include socks, underwear, t-shirts, sweat pants, sweatshirts, jackets and shoes. Your personal hygiene list should include toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair brushes, deodorant, soap, shampoo and any medications you might be taking. Pack enough clothing and personal hygiene supplies to get you to your new location and through the first day of unpacking.
3. Be sure to take your cell phone charger and full batteries with you on your trip. This will enable you to have constant access to other people along your journey. For instance, you may need to contact the moving company or family and friends who are helping you.
4. A box that is packed with cleaning supplies will be helpful once you have the moving or rental truck ready. You can use these products to do one last cleaning before you move out. If possible, have friends and family members help you with this process so that you can be on your way. If it's too difficult to arrange to clean the house yourself or through people you know, you may have to hire a cleaning professional to do the work for you. In that case, you will not need to pack your cleaning supplies.
5. Have your moving inventory with you on the day of your move. This document will be very important to you if any of your belongings are damaged, lost, or stolen. Without your list, it will be very difficult to report a claim.
6. Your valuable belongings and important documents should also be packed to move with you when you relocate. Important documents and expensive jewelry should not be packed onto a moving or rental truck. There is too much at risk in the event they are lost or stolen.
7. Request a copy of the route your movers are using to transport your belongings to your new home. Check over the route again before you leave your home the day of your move. This will reduce the chance of getting lost along the way. Have the route attached to your inventory list to make it easily accessible and difficult to lose.
8. Have a box of items that you will need to get through the first day and night in your new home. This box might contain sheets, blankets, towels, plastic dishes and utensils and a small first aid kit. This box can be tucked away in your trunk as you will not need it until you get to your new house.
9. Keep a separate duffel bag filled with toy and activities that you might need for your children. You should also include snacks and wipes. This bag should be easily accessible to you while you are driving to your new home.
10. When you are finally ready to drive out of your driveway, your vehicle should be packed with a box for the first day in your new home, a bag of a change of clothes, all of your valuable belongings and documents and things to keep your children occupied. By being well prepared ahead of time for the day of your move, you will enjoy a much smoother transition to your new home.