Design Ideas for Kitchen Floor Tiles
When you step into a kitchen, it is not just the wall paint and gadgets that call for attention but also the kitchen floor tiles under your feet. They can transform the space and add to the kitchen’s appeal.
Luckily, if you are planning to give your kitchen a makeover or if you are designing a brand new kitchen, there are plenty of design ideas to help you.
The Ideal Kitchen Tile
- Before selecting floor tiles for kitchen, consider its durability
- The ideal kitchen floor tile is low maintenance, sturdy, non-porous and stain resistant
- Make sure it has a good grip and is not too slippery
- Cleaning it should be an uncomplicated affair
- It should be easy to install and replace
- There are plenty of kitchen tile ideas to play with as there are a variety of tiles available in the market like ceramic, glass, porcelain, metal and stone.
- You can experiment with the textures. The tiles can be of glazed and unglazed finish. Glazed tiles are slippery and that is a drawback.
- Glass kitchen tiles are not practical to use as kitchen floor tiles but can be used as accents.
- Ceramic kitchen tiles are popular as they have many designs and styles from which to choose. They are also affordable and easy to maintain. The size of the tiles varies from twelve to eighteen inches. Using a tile of a smaller size gives the room a more spacious look.
- Mosaic kitchen tiles are also a favourite. Not only are they available in many designs, they don’t absorb moisture which makes it ideal for use in the kitchen.
- Quarry tiles look attractive but they are hard to clean once they fall victim to stains.
- Porcelain tiles score points for their durability. You don’t have to worry too much about the scrapes showing.
- Bamboo tiles are perfect for you if you are an eco warrior. They give the kitchen a trendy feel.
- Granite tiles are heat resistant, water resistant, and strong and can handle spills which are a regular feature in kitchens. Sweeping the floor daily and using warm water to mop it will keep it looking its best.
- To give your kitchen a rustic ambience, use slate tiles. They come in many colors and stains can’t get them.
- If you want a distinctive look for your kitchen, you can go for hand painted tiles and opt for a one of a kind design.
- The color of the kitchen floor tiles needs to be taken into consideration to achieve an appealing effect.
- Instead of trying to match the color of the tile to those of the walls and cabinets, the use of contrasts is more effective.
- To achieve a spacious feel, use tiles of darker shades on the floor.
- The grout that is used to keep the tiles together while installing must be close to the color of the tile to avoid a shoddy look.