At some point we will all need to have a door knob repair done or the knob replaced. With this guide you will be able to do it without the expense of a locksmith.
- Remove the two screws that hold the metal ring in place. This is the piece that is located in between both knobs.
- You should see two more screws underneath the trim once you’ve pulled it apart. Go ahead and remove these. Now you should be able to remove the knobs.
- You should now see a bolt being held in place by two screws on the locking mechanism itself. Go ahead and remove the screws and free the bolt.
- If you are replacing the strike plate (the piece that catches the bolt on the door frame) go ahead and remove that. If it’s in good repair it’s not necessary to replace this.
- You can now replace the bolt with the new one. Screw it back in to place.
- Now you can start to replace the doorknobs themselves. It may take a few minutes to get it aligned properly, just be patient. Replace the knob that has the square hole first, this is the one that the bolt will go in.
- Replace the other doorknob and line them up so that the long screws can be replaced.
- Slowly tighten the long screws.
That’s all there is to it!