Garage Door Opener Installation
How to install your garage door opener. - The variety of products on the market make it necessary to follow the instructions, provided by the manufacturer, for each model of garage door opener. There are, however, a number of things to look for when purchasing a garage door opener that will assure quality and dependability.
We buy a garage door opener for security and convenience. The push of a button removes the necessity of getting out of your car to open the garage door in sleet, snow, rain or darkness. Another push of the button closes and locks the door securely behind you.
But how can we tell if the garage door opener we choose will be reliable? Begin by purchasing your garage door opener from a reputable manufacturer. Reliability means that it will be of durable construction, engineered for safety and built with experience. Look for a chain drive and solid steel T-rail. Industrial strength chain is necessary for moving something as big and heavy as a garage door. Top quality components insure lasting durability and the ultimate in performance. Other features should include:
You should get Adobe Flash Player so you can view our video.
Automatic Light Delay
As the garage door opens, the lights go on in the garage to safely light your way and turn off automatically after a few minutes. A few manufacturers offer delays as long as four and a half minutes.
Automatic Safety Reverse This feature reverses the door immediately if obstructed when going down. It also stops the door if obstructed when going up.
The door should also be able to be stopped at any position to give ventilation and easy access
for household pets.
Illuminated Wall Control Panel
This should contain lock/security and light switches for convenience. The lock/security feature allows you to turn your garage door opener off if you are away for an extended period of time. It also allows you to lock out all outside radio signals. A light switch on the control panel enables you to use the lights in the garage without activating the garage door opener.
Remote Control Transmitter
Your transmitter should be of the most advanced technology with solid state electronics throughout. The better ones contain an L.E.D. light to let you know the battery is charged and the signal is sent.
Emergency Release/Automatic Reconnect
This allows manual door operation in the event of a power failure. The push of a button should reconnect power automatically when power is restored.
Changeable Security Codes
For added security choose a model that will allow you to select and change your personal transmitter code.
Regardless of the type of garage door opener you will be installing, special safety rules will apply. During the installation procedure, you should take the following precautions:
- Do not wear rings, watches or loose clothing.
- Remove all ropes connected to the garage door prior to installing the opener.
- Disengage all existing garage door locks to avoid damage to garage door.
- Lightweight garage doors require reinforcement with a 2 x 4 board at least 6 feet in length.
- Installation and wiring must be in compliance with local building and electrical codes.
- Do not use force to compensate for a binding or sticking garage door. This will interfere with the proper operation of the safety reverse system and possibly damage the garage door. Moving, loosening or adjusting door springs must be done by a garage door serviceperson. Failure to adjust properly could cause serious personal injury.
- Fasten the caution label on the wall near the wall control as a reminder of safe operating procedures.
- Install all controls out of the reach of children.
- Properly adjust the opener.