Hot Topics: Is This a Transformer?

Lead Image

Here on we enjoy providing a place where home improvement novices and experts can come together to share ideas and advice. Inside our Forums, users can browse threads to see what exchanges are taking place on a topic of interest or start their own dialogue by posting something for the community to take part in. With over 250,000 members and counting, this resource is quite active so each week we highlight one of the conversations that may just help you with that next DIY project.

When you get into remodels and renovations, you find yourself looking at parts of the house that were never meant to be seen. What you find there can be surprising, mysterious and possibly dangerous. Before you play with something, be sure you know what it is. The Forum can tell you.

Original Post: What is this? - (picture included)

JGeary Member

I'm finishing the drywall in my attached garage and this is on the attached side, but I have no idea what it might be. It looks like a transformer, maybe? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Highlights from the Thread

ray2047 Member

Doorbell (or door chime) transformer.

JGeary Member

Thanks so much, Ray. I knew I was close, but I wasn't sure. Last question, this can't be covered, correct? I don't feel confident relocating it myself right now.

marksr Forum Topic Moderator

I've never seen them have any type of cover. They are usually either hid in a closet or out in the garage. It's just a low voltage wire so it shouldn't be a big deal to relocate it if you want. Personally, I'd just clean up the drywall work around it, prime, paint and forget about it.

JGeary Member

Awesome. That's exactly what I'll do then.

aka pedro Member

Just to clarify, yes, the wires that you can see are low voltage, but the backside is fed with 110 volts. So, in case you are inclined to relocate it, keep that in mind. Seeing it like that, my first thought is that you will find a junction or gang box in the wall opposite it. As already said, you can leave and work around it, but, if so inclined, you will find Carlon or other PVC junction boxes with screw on covers at your local hardware or big box, which you could drill as needed and fasten to the wall to conceal it.

Read more: //