Hot Topics: Old Drywall Looks Pretty Bad

Ripped up drywall.

Here on we enjoy providing a place where home improvement novices and experts can come together to share ideas and advice. Inside our Forums, users can browse threads to see what exchanges are taking place on a topic of interest or start their own dialogue by posting something for the community to take part in. With over 250,000 members and counting, this resource is quite active so each week we highlight one of the conversations that may just help you with that next DIY project.

Part of DIY is fixing the damage you caused while you made your improvements. As careful as you can, peel glued paneling off the wall and you’re still going to tear up the sheetrock. So is it as bad as it looks and how do you fix it? The Forum knows.

Original Post: Extensive Drywall repair - Suggested method

KLund1 Member

Hi All,

I have a room that has ¼-inch faux wood paneling glued and nailed to a painted and textured drywall surface. I have removed the paneling as carefully as possible. But there is extensive damage to the drywall paper.

I am going to put a textured surface over all these damaged walls, so I am not that worried about getting a perfectly smooth surface.

I have looked at a lot of YouTube DYI drywall repairs, and it seems to come down to 2 general methods of repair.

1) Use something called peel bond(?), or skim coat(?) to glue down, and moisture seal the exposed paper. I do not know about these products. Then add the new wall texture.

2) Sand down the paper and edged around the paper, then mud over, dry, sand, mud again, dry, sand, then add the new wall texture.

I live in about 30 miles east of San Francisco, where it is very warm in the summers 90's+, and down to the low 40's in winter. Forced A/C & Heat.
I am leaning towards method 1.

I would like some additional input. Am I missing something? Additional steps needed? Better products or methods?

Any help would be most appreciated.


Highlights from the Thread

pugsl Forum Topic Moderator

Marksr might have different idea but damage doesn't look that bad in picture. Unless not seeing something, would paint over with oil base primer to seal drywall and skim coat over that.

KLund1 Member

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Damage looking from close to the wall.

Hot Topics, Old Drywall Looks Pretty Bad

What kind of sealant or primer will hold down the paper? Or should I peel off the loose paper tips, then seal/primer?


marksr Forum Topic Moderator

When you go to peel off the loose paper, cut it along the perimeter first so you don't just continue to peel the whole wall. Anywhere you have exposed gypsum you have to use either an oil base primer or Zinsser's Gardz to seal the gypsum and prevent further damage.

I'd sand as needed, prime, skim coat the entire wall, sand, touch up the skim coat as/if needed, remove the sanding dust and it should be ready for primer and paint.

czizzi Member

Even though you are going to texture the wall, you need to address these blemishes or they will show through on the finished product. Seal with Zinsser Gardz which will turn the paper to a hard substance. Any paper that continues to be loose needs to be removed. Flaking paper is a big issue with drywall that has had the surface paper compromised like yours. Then you need to do a light skim coat to blend the blemishes. I would use a setting type joint compound that you mix from a powder. Sand between coats, use a strong light of flashlight and hold it close to the wall so the light shines across the patch. Work it until the blemishes blend better into the wall.

Read more at : //