Hot Topics: What Kind of Switch Is This?

Lead Image

Here on we enjoy providing a place where home improvement novices and experts can come together to share ideas and advice. Inside our Forums, users can browse threads to see what exchanges are taking place on a topic of interest or start their own dialogue by posting something for the community to take part in. With over 250,000 members and counting, this resource is quite active so each week we highlight one of the conversations that may just help you with that next DIY project.

Even a veteran can’t know everything, or at least can’t be expected to keep track of everything he knows. There are a lot of tools and materials out there, with all kinds of variations. When you find something you don’t know how to use, don’t be shy, take a picture and consult the Forum. They won’t even make fun of you.

Original Post: How do you install these toggle switches? (Small body, no apparent mounts?)

Nick D. Member

Cleaned a bit of the basement today and unearthed a small stash of 'lectricians goodies. Everything is familiar to me, excepting 5 toggles that I found.

Highlights from the Thread

PJmax Forum Topic Moderator

Those mount in snap-in plates for a custom setup. Look up despard devices.

Furd Member

You insert the switch in the yoke and then using a small screwdriver bend the tab (shown on the right in this image) to lock the device in place.

despard device

(Image courtesy of Kyle Design.)

Nick D. Member

Thanks, guys! I feel stupid now... the name "Despard" brought back some memories.

Furd Member

When I was your age my daddy would ask me a question and when I replied that I didn't know he would berate me with, "I thought you knew everything!" I would then reply that I knew ALMOST everything but with all there was to know I couldn't possibly know it all.

JerseyMatt Member

You're never too young to have a senior moment...