Decorate your home or office space with inexpensive decoupage pictures frame. During the process, different types of paper cutouts adorn the object’s surface, be it glass, wood, metal or cloth. This creative style can be easily used to decorate walls, ceilings, doors, windows and any type of space that longs to break the monotony. With little knowledge and lots of creativity you can create masterpieces in no time. You can give your artwork to friends, family and neighbors and easily win over them. What are you waiting for? Let’s get started.
- Decoupage Mediums
- Old Cards/ Old Magazines
- Acrylic Sealant
- Foam Paintbrush
- Manicure Scissors/Modeling Knife
- Sponge Paintbrush
Step1: Decide and Prepare the Decoupage Surface
Glass, wood, stone, cloth or any other surface is suitable for decoupage. Once the base has been decided, proceed with artwork. With the assistance of manicure scissors/modeling knife snip 5 pictures from old cards, magazines, wallpapers and photo albums.
Prepare the selected decoupage surface by carefully removing grit, dust or wooden splinters via hobby paintbrush or sandpaper (400 fine grit) respectively.
Step 2: Decoupage Medium Application
Once the surface is well-prepared apply small amount of decoupage medium with the aid of sponge paintbrush. You can choose from pre-mixed mediums or opt for cheaper glues by mixing 3 parts Elmer’s glue to 1 part water.
Now, apply the glue behind the selected pictures and carefully place them on the prepared surface (starting from the corners). Gently press the pictures to avoid air bubbles from forming. With a foam paintbrush smooth the pictures; be careful not to rip them.
Step 3: Apply Varnish
Once the pictures are completely dry, apply 2-3 coats of varnish to give gleam and shine to your masterpiece. Remember to allow sufficient drying time in between coats, lest you’ll spoil your hard work.
Step 4: Final Touches – Apply Sealant
For the decoupage masterpiece to last forever, apply a final coating of acrylic sealant. It will secure and seal the 5 picture decoupage till eternity.
- Instead of trimming the edges, simply tear them to give a more dramatic element to the design. You can choose to overlap these pictures to create hodge-podge finish. To create this effect lay out the pictures on the prepared surface before applying the glue.
- Use air spray while pasting pictures on the glued surface, this will prohibit air bubbles formation. Hold the picture at an angle against the surface and then spray. Work your way upwards to minimize air bubbles.
- It is advised to apply varnish and acrylic sealer in well ventilated area, lest the inhales fumes can irritate and rupture your respiratory system.
- If wood is the medium to decoupage, check for dents, gaps and blemishes and cover or fill them accordingly before proceeding to sand the surface smooth.
- It is advised to print photos from the album first and then snip them intricately, rather than using them straight from the photo album.
- Since decoupage can be done on pieces of furniture, consider decoupaging a lamp table or an old trunk to create a personalized and memorable piece of furniture.