Adjustable bar stools can be made out of a large variety of materials. This is a simple, height adjustable bar stool you can make at home with the option of placing a seat on it to your own taste. Although you can purchase a ready-to-assemble kit, you can have more choice in design if you choose your own parts to assemble yourself. All these parts can be purchased separately. Note that some procedures will vary according to the parts you buy.
Parts of an Adjustable Stool:
- Base – Usually round for a bar stool, but can have legs or ‘feet’
- Column – this is the lower part of the ‘stem’
- Gas cylinder – this sits on top of the column and provides the height adjustability
- Foot rest – this is attached to the column and provides a rest for your feet
- Telescopic lift cover – This is a cover for the gas lift. It prevents marks on the sitters trousers
- Swivel plate – this allows the seat to swivel
- Seat – there are huge number of seat designs from flat and simple, to ornate metalwork back and armrests
Step 1 – Measure the Bar Height
Before you buy your parts, measure your bar and make sure there will be a 10 to 12 inch space between the bench and the stool seat if the seat is to fit under a bar overhang. This measurement is important when you are choosing the size of the column and gas lift. Bar stools are between 28 and 30 inches from the top of the seat to the floor. Of course, it is not so important with stools that are height adjustable.
Step 2 – Attach the Column to the Base
Take the base and drop the column into the base, you don’t have to uses tools as one or two uses of the chair will seat it tightly. Now attach the gas cylinder lift to the column using the bearing kit. This is easy, just hand insert the releaser button (releaser) into the mechanism. Grease the bearing.
Step 3 – Slip the Gas Mechanism into the Cylinder
Now attach the gas mechanism onto the cylinder. Slip the lift cover over the gas cylinder.
Step 4 – Screw on the Swivel
The swivel is now screwed to the top of the gas mechanism with the special swivel screws.
Step 5 – Screw on the Seat
The seat is attached to the swivel top. Now you will need to decide how you want to attach a foot rest. You could take a piece of aluminum sheet, cut 2 holes in it, just big enough for the column to fit through. Bend the sheet nearly double and slip the column through it. The pressure of the spring in the plate will keep the footrest from slipping. Of course, this method will have to be done when you install the column.
Note that putting the parts of an adjustable bar stool together is a lot easier than taking them apart.