A chemical paint stripper is based on solvents and will, in effect, chemically peel the paint from the surface. You will notice that the paint reacts to the solvent and starts to bubble and blister. These solvents can be extremely harmful if they are not handled with extreme care. There are many safety precautions you should take if you are intending to use solvent-based chemical products.
Most paint strippers contain irritants which can burn or damage skin and eyes. They can also cause bad headaches, nausea, dizziness, and other symptoms if not used in a well-ventilated location. All solvent-based products will be flammable and, therefore, should be kept strictly away from naked flames or any potential fire hazards. Always use a respirator mask to protect your lungs and face from being harmed. Wear safety gloves when handling solvents.
Removing the paint is a relatively simple procedure, but again, safety should be paramount. Wear gloves and scrape the paint away from your body and face. Safety glasses are always a good precaution too. Make sure you also lay down drop cloths to protect anything on the floor and the floor itself. The residue chemicals can cause harm to any surface they land on.