Cooking Up Some Dirt
Whether you're starting a window garden or putting planters on your patio, you'll need nutrient-rich potting soil. Here's an easy recipe for mixing up a batch ... and saving a bunch.
- In a 4-gallon bucket, combine equal parts garden soil, peat moss, perlite and compost.
- Then add a half-cup of lime and a large handful of bonemeal.
- Stir the mixture until each component is entirely mixed in.
- Then sift it through a sieve with a half-inch mesh.
- To sterilize it all, nuke the soil in a microwave for five or six minutes or bake it in an oven for half an hour. (Just make sure your kids don't think it's apple crumble.)