Tips for Identifying Antifreeze Poisoning in Pets

Antifreeze poisoning in pets can lead to very serious and possibly deadly results for your family friend. Antifreeze has a sweet taste and smell. This characteristic can attract pets to this poisonous liquid. There are some signs to look for, if you suspect that your pet has ingested antifreeze. Any of these behaviours are a sign that your pet could be in serious danger, and requires medical assistance immediately.

First Signs of Antifreeze Poisoning in Pets

A small animal that has ingested antifreeze will display signs of poisoning. These signs may include a stupor, staggering, fatigue, listelessness, vomiting, excess urination and thirst. The ethylene glycol chemical in the antifreeze will then be metabolized by the liver. This process will lead to a far more serious situation. If the signs of poisoning are evident in your pet, go directly to the nearest veterinarian.

Preventing Accidental Antifreeze Poisoning in Pets

Be sure that you keep all of your containers of antifreeze safely out of reach of your pets. Keep your pets away from any antifreeze that might puddle under your vehicle. There are some newer antifreeze products available on the market that contain propylene glycol, rather than ethylene glycol. The propylene glycol is less dangerous if it is ingested.