What Every College Kid Needs to Know About Electrical Cord Safety

Every college dorm room is filled with computers, printers, TVs, video game systems, alarm clocks, fans and mini-refrigerators, each with its own electrical cord. To prepare your kid and make sure he's safe, ensure that he understands the following rules about electrical safety.

Never Run Electrical Cords Across Traffic Paths

With all the clutter that is found in the dorm room, the most important thing that your kid should know is to make sure that the electrical cords are not placed across areas that receive high traffic. The dangers of putting cords across traffic paths is that other people might run over it and this might cause sparks or short circuit electronic devices than will cause fire.

Do Not Use Electrical Cords on a Continuous Basis

While dorm rooms usually have limited power outlets, using electrical cords is very tempting as you can run a lot of his electronic devices simultaneously. However, it is important to take note that electronic cords only offer temporary solutions to powering up electronic devices thus they should not be used on continuous basis. Instruct your child to unplug his devices when not in use.

Do Not Overload Electrical Sockets

Take care not to overload the electric outlet. If the cord is overloaded, the circuit will eventually blow a fuse or increase the likelihood of dangerous sparks. Instruct your kids to only plug at least one or two gadgets to any socket simultaneously for safety purposes.

Check Electrical Cords for Exposed Live Wires

Wear and tear can cause live wires to become exposed. Once this happens, the cords are very dangerous and can cause electrocution if touched. To remedy this, make sure that exposed wires are covered with an electrical tape—or better yet, replace the electrical wire as soon as wearing and tearing occurs.

Unplug Electrical Cords When Not in Use

Instruct your kid to always unplug the electrical devices when not in use. When an electrical cord is plugged to the power source, the metal plates within the cord are still powered up, even if the device is turned off. Thus, if the device gets accidentally toppled over or if water is thrown at it accidentally, it can cause fire or electrocution.